Just putting the finishing touches to a ‘Draft’ cover for a new brochure and it seemed like a really good way to demonstrate how my design thinking, planning & processes of the last few days worked through to the final conclusion.
On the face of it the brief was simple; come up with a cover and design for a new four page brochure advertising Year 7 to prospective students.
(However this would also affect a site re-design of the current online content, so each of the design ideas had to take that into account too)
Each ‘Photoshop sketch’ also had to reflect how the other pages might look & feel.
I sometimes sketch out on paper these kinds of projects but this time around I already had some ideas that had been floating around in my head for a while so I just leapt right on in.
Here are all the ideas, presented in order of development;
The perennial problem of images usually raises it’s head at this point in the process as no matter how many shots you take of student activities they are nearly always out of date even before you download them off the camera. I’m not quite sure what the resolution to this continual conundrum is!
In my own mind each design logically follows on to the next until I reach the point where balance of colour and content are good & then I move on to try another idea.
(This stops me from re-inventing the wheel too many times & keeps ideas live & bright)
Once I’m happy with the balance of alternatives I mailed copies to Rachel in the Admin team for them to make a selection & suggest any additions.
As you can see in the end we went for a variation on the ‘Square Blocks’ design.
(I’ll keep my favorite layout to myself!)
The next part of the process is to combine that theme with the document text & then plan the new website template.